Sunday, March 5, 2017

7DRL 2017: Start

Time to fire up this creaky old blog again for the annual Seven-day Roguelike Challenge.

This year I'm going to try to make a game that uses the graph-paper racetrack game as its core movement mechanic, with base-building as the secondary layer. The idea is that as the area you're defending increases, you have to drive faster to be able to cross it to reach threats on the other side. You drive faster by getting better at the driving mechanic, upgrading your car, and building roads and bridges.

It's inspired by Mad Max a bit. I played the recent Avalanche game to nearly 100%. I have been wanting to make a game using a similar mechanic inspired by the Steve Jackson board game Interplanetary, but have had trouble figuring out how to make space interesting. Hence the move to the ground.

So far I've had my initial struggle with Git to clone one of my other projects. Git is a never-ending font of obscure problems with uninformed solution suggestions on the internet. Today I've had to deal with heads not being trees, detached heads, and submodule recursion.

No comments: